Garden Igloo styling tips from Pandora Maxton
With over 115,000 followers on Instagram, interiors stylist Pandora Maxton lives on the outskirts of York and is well known for her eclectic and maximalist style, especially since winning the BBC show ‘Best House in Town’. We particularly love Pandora’s outdoor space, and jumped at the chance to collaborate with her on a styling project for the Astreea Garden Igloo. Scroll on to read our interview with Pandora and discover her styling tips.
So, Pandora, to get things started… how long have you had a passion for home interiors?
I have always loved Interiors and gardening. I’m naturally creative and get enormous amount of pleasure from it. My background is in Art after studying it at University. From there I ran my own business painting large abstract pieces for offices, after I had my first baby I returned to college and studied Interior design. I worked for several large fabric companies taking me all over the Uk and Europe meeting so many interior designers. After more babies and a redundancy I worked part-time away from the industry but missed it. A friend had started to share her house on Instagram and encouraged me to do the same. After nearly 4 years I have grown my following to over 115k, organically and with lots of hard work. I am now a full time content creator and stylist.
I love to create a space that is welcoming, stylish and a little different. I don’t do ‘Vanilla’ I love colour, texture, and personality when it comes to a living space.
Where would you say that you find inspo from for your interior projects?
I love books and magazines but more often than not these days it’s all about Pinterest and Instagram.
In general, what is your go to style? (we love it)
I don’t really have a style but when asked this very question before I have often described my taste a minimalistic. It’s a great word and pretty much sums me up in-fact on most levels. I do however try and mix it up. I like a home to be full of lovely things that showcase who we all are that live in it. I want my house to tell a story, have oodles of personality, be interesting and above anything else be homely and welcoming. I love rustic mixed with modern. It is always good to mix it up. Plants are a big passion for me, both faux and real. Every room should have lots of plants in them.
What would you say your favourite thing about your Astreea Igloo is?
Within a few hours you have an outdoor area ready to go that is warm and dry but still feel you are outside.
What will you most likely use your igloo for?
We have already had friends over for drinks and nibbles which was really fun. I put a large round table in it and chairs and dressed it with lots of flowers from the ceiling and made the table look really pretty. It was really cosy. I think we will use mostly for entertaining, home office and also to bring on our baby tomatoes.
Could you give us five top tips for styling a garden igloo?
- Lay an old carpet or rug on the floor. I used an old seagrass rug I keep for anything outdoors.
- Make it home from home for big impact. Don’t be afraid to dress it as you would a dining table for a dinner party. Go to town with place mats, wine glasses, flowers and candles.
- Fairy lights. You can never have enough fairy lights. I bought some warm icicles and hung them from the top of the pod. The pod has electric lights in it so have electricity source. The lights look so pretty at night. You can also put a small side table and put either a selection of drinks on it or a lamp.
- I picked lots of trailing willow and greenery from the garden and hung it down the metal poles. A quick and cheap way to give a botanical feel for an event. I also bought some lovely fresh flowers and eucalyptus and hung them from the ceiling integrated with all the lights. Real flowers won’t last long which can be removed after the event or you can use faux. I mixed it up and used wired to wrap around stems of the real flowers and hung them off lights. Super easy and so effective.
- The entrance. The entrance to the pod should be welcoming. I placed matching Bay Trees each side of the entrance and lanterns too. It adds a warm inviting feel. I also placed a little rug on the outside too.
Lastly create some delicious food and enjoy with family and friends!