The Best Nursery Furniture for Parents to be
Decorating and furnishing a nursery is one of the most exciting projects you’ll ever undertake – however for some soon-to-be parents, finding the best nursery furniture for your baby’s room can be a little bewildering. With so many options available, from nursery sets that offer a coordinated look and great value to mixing and matching baby furniture for a unique style, (then there’s the curve ball of neutral colours or pops of pastels) it can be difficult for parents to ascertain what’s the best choice.
Before you dive into the sea of and ride the wave of possibilities, grab a cuppa, a note pad and pen and join me for a practical guide to the best nursery furniture for parents to be.
What nursery furniture do I need?
Your shopping list (along with your baby bump) may be growing by the day! Planning how you furnish your baby’s nursery will be largely dependent on the size of the room, but before you rush to fill every inch of floor space, here are a few of the nursery furniture essentials to consider when you’re planning what to buy;
- Cot / Cot Bed – Top of the nursery furniture shopping list will be a comfortable baby bed, this could be a crib, a cot or a cot bed. If you’re feeling a little bamboozled by the different options, my guide to cots and guide to cot beds are jam packed full of the features and benefits of these popular baby beds. In a nutshell, a cot is slightly smaller than a cot bed and is a brilliant first baby bed option. Cot beds size up larger with the added benefit of being able to convert into a junior bed when the time comes. This feature extends the life of the cot beyond the baby years, however this may not be of importance if you plan on using the cot for another baby (should you decide to brave it all again!).
- Chest of drawers – Somewhere to neatly store all those adorable baby outfits is made easy with a nursery dresser. There are plenty of options to choose between, from a classic white chest of drawers such as the Oliver Furniture Wood Nursery Dresser to a more a contemporary set of drawers like the Vox Concept Chest of Drawers, shown here in grey & oak, it also comes in a choice of 5 different colours. A baby dresser that doubles as a changing unit offers a great space saving option. Look for designs where you can add an optional changing top, as seen here with the Vox Vintage Chest of Drawers, available in a neutral oak effect or white or choose from 4 gorgeous pastel shades.
- Baby changing unit – If room allows, another key piece of nursery furniture is a sturdy baby changing table. Baby changing stations come in various designs, from standalone changing tables as seen with the Linea Changing Table to designs that double as a storage unit, like this gorgeous Cam Cam Copenhagen Harlequin Changing Table. Designs that incorporate shelving and drawers offer up the perfect place to keep nappies and wipes in easy reach.
- Nursery wardrobe – Offering up plenty of storage for clothes, spare bedding, blankets and other baby essentials, a nursery wardrobe provides a fantastic amount of storage. Look out for designs that combine hanging space with shelving and drawers, which maximise your storage options. With bountiful designs to choose between, once you’ve gauged the right size wardrobe for your child’s room it will be down to which style you think will best suit the room. You may opt for a neutral white nursery wardrobe, like this East Coast Toulouse Double Wardrobe in White or consider something a little more unique such as the Amsterdam Bell Gable Wardrobe by This is Dutch. Buying a quality wardrobe will see your child through their baby years and beyond.
- Toy storage – It’s definitely worth investing in some practical toy storage for your baby’s nursery. If space allows a toy box is the perfect place keep all their baby toys up together and in one place, the simple design of the Kiddy Wooden Kids Toy Box will suit any nursery theme and is available in a choice of 4 colours. For smaller rooms a cute toy storage basket serves as a great space saving toy storage option.
- Nursing chair – A comfortable nursing chair provides the perfect spot for night time feeds and cuddles. It’s definitely advisable to measure up as nursing chairs do take up a fair amount of floor space, particularly if you settle on a rocking nursery chair, like the Oscar Rocking Chair from Tutti Bambini.
When should I buy nursery furniture?
There’s no textbook timeline for the best time to furnish your child’s nursery. Many expectant mums begin planning the nursery in their second trimester, a time when you’re hopefully starting to feel a little more “blooming” and energised. Although I’ve heard countless stories of soon to be parents building nursery furniture with just days (or hours!) until the imminent “due date”!
Forward planning is often a good idea, as some nursery furniture can have a long delivery time, particularly if it is made to order or coming from a European supplier.
Should I buy a nursery furniture set?
Nursery furniture sets are a great idea if you’re furnishing an entire room. They offer value for money and with many different options you are bound to find one that fits your style and budget.
For more inspiration on choosing the best nursery furniture bundle, take a look at my recent post featuring the top 10 on trend nursery furniture sets, available from Cuckooland.
Mix and match nursery furniture
You may decide that you want to buy separate pieces of nursery furniture, particularly if you already have some of the nursery essentials as identified above. Many popular nursery brands, such as and include both nursery sets and individual pieces in their ranges giving you the flexibility to choose.
With mix and match nursery furniture comes the freedom to combine separate nursery furniture pieces, so you can create a totally unique style in your baby’s room.
Other things to consider
Delivery and installation are also important considerations when you’re deciding on the best nursery furniture options.
Some nursery furniture will be delivered flat pack, meaning that it will need to be assembled either by yourself, a helpful volunteer or a specialised installation team. Cuckooland have a dedicated installation service available for certain nursery furniture collections, if this service is available, it will be shown on the product detail page.
Other items may be delivered fully assembled, so you will need to check that your new nursery furniture can be maneuvered into its new home without any obstacles (you don’t want to be remodeling your home to make it fit!).
The product detail page will state whether the nursery furniture requires self-assembly or if it comes already assembled, so you can forward plan for a smooth delivery and installation process.
Of course, choosing the best nursery furniture is only part of the super exciting preparations for the arrival of your new baby. At Cuckooland we strive to help you make the right decision when it comes to buying quality nursery furniture that is practical, safe and stylish.
If you need further guidance on choosing which nursery furniture is best for you, our nursery experts are on hand to answer any questions, give them a call on +44 (0) 1305 231 231 or ping them an .